Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Seen in the Thrift Shop

Life in Christian County, Kentucky... And What I Think About It...



Wedding finery at the thrift shop

I stop by several thrift shops a couple times a week to look for little items for my SCA market stall. Today I stood in a long line waiting to pay in one of the thrifts, and I had lots of time to look at the shelves beside me. I saw these wedding accessories and thought of John Prine's song, "Souvenirs". It's a song about losses along the way in life.

Memories, they can't be boughten.
They can't be won at carnivals for free.
Well it took me years to get those souvenirs,
And I don't know how they slipped away from me...
(John Prine)


Let's think positively. Maybe those things will make some fun dress-up clothes for a little girl, or even help some lady dress nicely for a special occasion.

Maybe the woman who discarded them really needed to cleanse her life and get a fresh start. There are many possible good reasons for getting rid of them, but I hope she threw them out thoughtfully.

Technorati tags:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.