Friday, January 25, 2008

Happy Goodman Family on YouTube

Great Classics of Southern Gospel



I'll warn you right away -- if you don't like gospel music, you should just skip this post. But if you do like gospel, these links will bring a smile to your face and perhaps a tear to your eye.

Browsing around my bloglist this evening, I visited the Cheatham County Rock Star Wife. Marisa's blog is a bit "Goodman-flavored" right now -- that is, she's been listening to the Happy Goodman Family, and the music has affected her.

Now I've been listening to them and it has affected me too.

First, I want to share a wonderful YouTube video of the Happy Goodman Family singing "The Sweetest Song I Know." Marisa has this posted on her blog, and I understand why. If you like Southern Gospel, I promise you'll enjoy seeing and hearing this masterful performance from 1968.

If you want more (as I did after watching that great clip), here's a great gospel hit by the Happy Goodman Family -- "I Wouldn't Take Nothing For My Journey Now." It's also on YouTube -- apparently a cut from Tennessee Ernie Ford's television show during the 1960s.

Two more great performances -- "He's Coming Again" and "Looking For a City."

Don't miss "When God's Chariot Comes" with J.D. Sumner.

Ah, they were great. They put their whole hearts into their singing.

We recently got satellite internet, which makes it so much easier to enjoy things like this.

UPDATE: Corrected the link for "The Sweetest Song I Know"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.