Saturday, March 27, 2010

Flea Market in Clarksville, TN

Rainy afternoon at the junk store




This Old Place is located on College Street in Clarksville, TN. The large brick building with full-front dock looks like it was once a feed and seed store.

An amusing summary of the flea market biz is posted near the door:  "We buy junk & sell antiques." It's amazing how junk is improved by a price sticker!

After Isaac and I looked at the antiques, collectibles, and junk on the first floor, we climbed the stairs to the loft and wandered through even more booths. The photo at the end of this post was taken from the loft, looking down onto the first floor.

While we were upstairs, the skies opened, and rain pounded down onto the building's metal roof. It reminded me of being in a barn. It was a pleasant place to wait out the storm .

I didn't find anything to buy, though. Knick-knacks and dust-catchers don't really tempt me. I don't need any more of them -- I have plenty already. My main weakness is books, but I didn't happen to find any that I liked, despite searching high and low.

Isaac is on spring break from college this week, so I have been running around with him. This was just one of our stops on Thursday afternoon. We visited several flea markets, thrifts, and antique shops in Clarksville and then went to the mall. I did find a good old book at another antique shop -- a history of Cairo, Illinois.

5 comments:

Teri said...

I love finding a good ol' junk store with with unpretensious prices. But one finds those gems less and less these days. Too many shops think their junk things are high end antiques... and set a price to match.

Genevieve Netz said...

I agree, Teri. In a store like this one, there's usually some variation in prices from one consignment booth to the next. For example, a candy dish that matches a set of glassware I have collected was $5 in one booth and $12 in another. "Let the buyer beware" applies to the prices as well as the merchandise.

Anonymous said...

When are you going to blog about your number one fan, PJ, sometime? I keep hoping and waiting, but nothing happens. (Just kidding, you don't have to blog about me) I really enjoy reading your blogs mom!

Genevieve Netz said...

Awww, PJ, you're sweet. Now I remember why I adopted you. :)

Unknown said...

What time is open we are headed to clarksville we love shop like that are there open today

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.